My new puppy went for her “good health” check with the veterinarian today. By the time the visit was finished, I had racked up a bill for a couple hundred dollars most of it in pet medications. She wasn’t even “sick”,Considering the issue of rising health-care costs for humans and animals especially the escalating prices of medicine — it is no wonder the lure of self-diagnosis is standard practice for most people. It is explains why buying online at “cheaper” prices is so alluring.
Finding any product at a reduced price is just smart consumer economics. But is cheaper better, or is it dangerous? What are the risks and benefits if you buy pet meds without a prescription? I hope this article helps explain things.
Buy Pet Meds Without a Prescription?
By now you’ve probably already seen the bold-faced claims. For example, one online pet pharmacy, boasting that its services are “As Seen on NBC,” tries to reel in unsuspecting visitors with these alluring statements:
“Tired of your Vet controlling where you can buy your pet medications cheaper? Wouldn’t it be easier to buy your pet, animal, veterinary and livestock supplies and medications no prescription required? No Vet needed and save 70% off at the same time.”
Quite a few online pharmacies dispense pet meds, and they’ll often even offer free shipping, but buyer beware — the medicine may not arrive as it was advertised. The FDA, in fact, is extremely worried about the “dangerous practice” of pharmacies making fraudulent claims and selling unapproved or expired drugs. The agency cites particular worry over NSAIDs and heartworm medications, which can be dangerous or life-threatening without proper medical guidance.
Be Safe: Look for the VIPPS Seal
When you are ready to purchase, make sure you are getting the correct medication by using a reputable pharmacy, especially if you order online.
Legal prescription medication is strictly regulated for your protection. The National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP) monitors the compliance of state and federal regulations. NABP reports that as many as 99 percent of online distributors of medications do not operate within the conformity of FDA-sanctioned controls. NABP provides a Veterinary-Verified Internet Pharmacy Practice Sites (Vet-VIPPS) seal of approval for web businesses operating within guidelines.
Check any online pharmacy for the VIPPS certification before you order.
Good examples include 1-800-PetMeds and Doctors Foster and Smith. According to Dr. Race Foster, although some outfits “merely fill and ship orders,” his own pharmacy realizes “that behind every prescription is a special companion animal who deserves the best.” Meanwhile, 1-800-PetMeds says that it will not allow you to buy pet meds without a prescrition: You “must have an authorization before they are dispensed.”
Benefits of Buying Pet Meds Online
Here are some benefits to buying from reputable pharmacies:
- Easy and convenient — particularly if your pet is on a maintenance drug. You can have the prescription sent right to your door.
- Eliminates embarrassment, perhaps more in the case of personal use than pet use.
- Provides easy online access to pharmacists to answer questions about medication.
For certain flea control products such as Frontline Plus, K9 Advantix, Advantage or Bio Spot, prescriptions are not likely required.
Beware of Online Pharmacies That Do These Things
All the advantages of online ordering are compelling, and with good judgment it is safe. But do NOT use an online pharmacy for any medication if:
- Prescriptions are offered without a medical exam.
- Prices are dramatically lower than the competition.
- Drugs are from an unknown origin or unknown quality.
- Prescriptions are sold without an order from a licensed medical professional — it’s against the law.
- Meds are sold that are not FDA-approved.
- Contact information, including a phone number and physical address, is not available and confirmed.
- The business does not publish security and privacy information.
- “Miracle drugs” or “cure-all” drugs are promoted for a variety of illnesses.
- There is no Vet-VIPPS certification.
DO look for the following FDA-recommended “signs of a trustworthy website”:
- It is located in the United States.
- It is licensed by a state board of pharmacy (a list is available on the NABP website; see “Additional Resources” below).
- It provides a licensed pharmacist to answer questions.
- It requires a prescription from a licensed provider.
- It provides complete contact information and allows you to talk with a person about problems or concerns.
Pet Meds without Vet Prescription: Types and Uses
There are many drugs able to treat, control and prevent diseases of cats, dogs and other pets. Some pet medications you can also buy online without a prescription and some drug are available only in vet clinics. So let’s try to figure out what pet meds without vet prescription you can legally buy online and what not. At first, figure out what the major types of pet meds are.
The most common pet medications:
- Traditional medicines – antibiotics and anti-inflammatory agents;
- Special ointments and creams for the external use;
- Liquid administered to cats and dogs not wanting to take medication orally or in order to prevent dehydration in pets. Typically, these fluids are administered via injections;
- Vaccines used to protect animals from major infections. Veterinarian will give you all the information about vaccinations – these are pet meds you can’t buy online;
- Drugs to fight feline or dog parasites you can get anywhere, but in the veterinary center will provide you with the most modern of them;
- Special food additives – a designed mixture of various products that help in the treatment of many diseases;
- Supplemented homeopathic and herbal preparations.
Keep in mind that you can use and, logically, buy only some of these pet meds without vet prescription.
If a pet feels unwell and needs medical treatment, a veterinarian will prescribe a special course of pet medications. The therapy course may consist of a single drug or combination of drugs and other pills. Most often, treatment are given directly into the vet, and then you are given with required medicines, so you can continue the treatment at home.
A veterinarian will provide you with precise instructions about the time of reception and dose of drugs, with the same information will be clearly written on the labels of bottles with pet medication without vet prescription as well. Probably the most common medications for pets are considered antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs, but only a few pet owners (even those who themselves have taken antibiotics) know something about these medicines.
Now let’s check the pet meds without vet prescription available in some regular vet clinics and online.
Antibiotics for treating cats and dogs
Antibiotics are pet meds without vet prescription used to treat bacterial infections. They either kill bacteria that are sensitive to their action or prevent their proliferation. Special antibiotics are the most effective against certain types of bacteria, whereas broad-spectrum antibiotic effective against all kinds thereof.
Antibiotics may be produced in the form of tablets, powders, capsules and injections; they may also include ointments, creams and other topical application formulations. You should be aware that the use of antibiotics at the wrong bacteria can learn to resist their action. In short, if your cat prescribed antibiotics, just follow the instructions on their use. It is important to complete the full course of medication, even if your cat is healthy in appearance already.
Anti-inflammatory drugs for pets
They are discharged against many diseases, and they are divided into the following categories:
These drugs are often referred to simply as steroids. These are very powerful drugs having a wide range of applications, and they are even if they are taken in very small doses. Steroid pet meds without vet prescription are used in long-term inflammation. Steroids cause a certain number of side effects – like the mood changes and increased thirst due to excessive urine formation. Because of the numerous side effects of corticosteroids should be used in very small doses for a minimum period possible.
Steroid based anti-inflammatory pet meds without vet prescription.
These medications are often used to reduce the temperature and relieve pain. There are cases when the cat etched similar means, so that in any case do not give the animals their own drugs (Aspirin), without consulting with a veterinarian.
Availability of pet meds without vet prescription is strictly controlled by law. Most of the drugs that can be prescribed to animals must be licensed by the special governmental organizations. On top of the most powerful tools along with newly developed prescription only constant in vet clinics with registered customers.
Some well-known and less powerful pet meds without vet prescription may be sold to individual customers and some meds – online. If you haven’t found required pet meds without vet prescription online it means they are probably restricted for free sale and you can get them only visiting a vet clinic.
For more information visit us our website: https://www.healthinfi.com