A rare surgery was performed in Madhya Pradesh’s Rewa district.
According to a PTI report, 35-year old Maksud Khan underwent a very complex surgery after he complained of severe abdominal pain. The doctors initially thought it to be a case of acute food poisoning and performed an endoscopy .
The doctors however were baffled to find 263 coins, dozens of shaving blades, 6-inch piece of rusted iron shackle, four big needles along with a few glass pieces and 100 nails in the man’s stomach.
Mohammed Maqsood, who hails from Sohaval was immediately rushed to the Sanjay Gandhi Hospital in Satna, Madhya Pradesh after his condition got worse. A surgery was performed on an urgent basis since the nails had pierced the stomach of the patient and he had undergone severe internal bleeding.
Dr Priyank Sharma, who led the surgical team said,“The patient was complaining of stomach pain, so we thought of getting an endoscopy done. We were shocked to discover that coins, nails and nut-bolts in his stomach. We come across such a case for the first in our career. This man looks mentally unstable as no sane person would do something like this.”
Maksud’s relatives said that he was suffering from depression and had got into a habit of swallowing coins.
“Whenever he felt the urge to ingest a coin, he ingested it with water,” said one of the family members.
The surgery however, is not first of its kind. A surgery took place to remove 150kg of hair from a woman’s body in Madhya Pradesh recently. Kolkata witnessed a similar surgery, where doctors had removed more than 600 nails from man’s stomach.